The appearance of a person matters and adds weight to one’s personality. Usually, most of us are concerned about how we look and present ourselves to others. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. It is perfectly fine to love yourself and expect the best from yourself. Speaking of appearance let us consider “Skin Tags”.
Are you having this condition anywhere on the body? Well, thankfully it is nothing dangerous or risky to your health as long as its appearance doesn’t bother you. Most of us feel a lot of consciousness if there is something related to our skin or body. If you have “Skin Tags” on your body and face or any other area of your body then continue reading.
What Are Skin Tags?
Skin tags are soft flaps of skin that hang from the face or body by a narrow stalk. They appear in the creases of the body where friction on the skin is harsher. They are usually small but may also form in tiny little clusters and grow in size. They are not in anyway cancer or tumor, but they’re not appealing to the eye.
Having skin tags around the neck or face affects your overall looks and also has the potential to affect your confidence. If you have more than one skin tag, or they start to become irritated, taking action is important and primary. If they have become infected or abnormal in any way such as the color or shape you need to allow them to heal first.
Why Are Skin Tags Caused?
There are no particular reasons as to why some of us get skin tags more frequently on the body. However, doctors and scientists have been able to reach some conclusions:
- Some people are more genetically prone to skin tags. So in case, this condition runs in your family and you see most of your elders or relatives have skin tags then it’s possible for you to have it too as it is dominantly hereditary.
- They are sometimes also caused by friction. Skin rubbing against skin or clothing too frequently may cause and lead to skin irritation. If this is prevalent then it could even lead to a development of skin tag in the particular area.
- People who are suffering from obesity or are overweight may get them due to sweating and friction. As there are more fats layered over the body this instantly raises the chances of more skin abrasion and irritation. Hence, skin tags are more common and occur in fat people.
- They appear more as we get older. So aging is also one more cause for contributing to the development of a skin tag.
- Skin tags often occur during pregnancy due to the fluctuation of hormones in a woman’s body. Women going through pregnancy know that hormones can cause many ‘strange’ things to happen to the body
- Taking steroids can affect the male hormones and lead to the growth of skin tags as there is some unexpected change in the body hormones.
- Shaving underarms may be a common cause for skin tags as it causes skin irritation and abrasion.
- Type 2 diabetes is often linked to obesity, and excess weight is connected with skin tags.
What Are The Areas Of Skin Tags?
Some people are more prone to skin tags than others. That means you may experience them for the rest of your life. Once you remove a skin tag, it usually doesn’t come back but that doesn’t prevent other skin tags to come in its place.
Treatments For Skin Tags
The 3 most commonly practiced procedures for medically removing skin tags are cauterization, cryotherapy, and surgical excision. Sometimes it can be a hassle to treat these surgically. However, there are minimal health risks or side effects.
Home Remedies For Skin Tags
Since skin tags are harmless natural remedies are useful and have become popular. Natural treatments will take longer to cure skin tags but they’re perfectly safe and can be much cheaper than a surgery.
- Tea Tree oil
Soak a cotton ball in the oil and apply it to the skin tag. Let it air dry, or you can attach it to your skin with a bandage. For best results, you should repeat this process a couple of times daily.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apply some apple cider vinegar to a cotton ball and apply to the area. You can secure or hold the cotton ball in place for up to 15 minutes. Repeat this procedure 3-4 times a day until the skin tag darkens, dries and falls off.
- Vitamin E Oil
Apply the liquid to the skin tag and cover with a bandage. Change the bandage and Vitamin E oil every day after cleansing the affected area. Repeat this process every day for several weeks or months until the skin tag is gone forever.