Are Those Warts On Your Soles?
You might have observed an external small growth on your skin which causes irritation, thickened skin or pain. These are the conditions found in Verruca plantaris a type of wart. If we want to know what verruca plantaris are, we need to know more about warts. Our skin acts as a protective layer, covering for all our internal organs and systems. But it comes with a cost. The skin goes through many diseases and side effects because of external attacks from microorganisms.
One of these diseases is verruca vulgaris or in common terms plantar warts. Even though this disease is not very severe it can cause major discomfort in one’s life. The disease can create obstructions on your activities of daily life. Plantar warts are one of the very common phenomena experienced by the skin. But first, let’s get to know what warts are.
What Are Warts?
Warts can be easily diagnosed with the naked eye. They can be recognized when they have a rough texture and a raised surface. These warts can normally be detected on the hands, feet, soles and even genitals. The periphery of the warts is thick and crusty and have a neutral color.
Areas which have small cuts or injuries are more susceptible to warts, such as cracked fingers and cracked soles. The warts are caused due to human papillomavirus (HPV). This virus is known to attack the cuts and the injured area of the skin and as a result, forming warts.
Warts can be very contagious, as the virus is capable of spreading its population very fast. The virus can spread from one part of the body to another and even from person to person.
There are certain people who have a higher risk of forming warts on their skin compared to the others.
The Risk Factors:
- If you have a slow or a weak immune system, you can be susceptible to warts.
- Injuries or cuts on any parts of the skin can result in warts.
- If you are working with meat, the meat is likely to have the virus, therefore reaching to you.
- Sharing different household objects such as towel, brushes, clothes, and underwears can also spread warts.
- The HPV virus is also known to thrive in nails, it may result in warts if your habit of biting nails, or peeling your cuticles.
Types Of Warts:
The researchers have classified warts into many different type or categories, that will make it easier for the common population to understand and detect. These types will help us know what the sign, symptoms, and causes are. The categories are differentiated on the basis of their size, texture and the site effect.
- Common Warts: these kinds of warts have a rough texture with a slightly raised surface. The hands often get these warts. Common warts are also called palmer warts or junior warts.
- Filiform warts: they have a thread and finger-like projections to them. Places on your face such as the eyelids and the lips are more susceptible to this kind of wart.
- Genital warts: The name itself tells that warts occur in the genital regions. They often spread with the help of sexual activities. This condition is clinically known as verruca acuminates.
- Flat Warts: These warts are smaller in size, have a smoother texture, as well as a flat surface. They also have a neutral color. They are known to occur in several numbers and in groups. The face, the neck, the knees, and the hands are more prone to these warts than anywhere else.
- Periungual warts: These warts will have a close resemblance to cauliflower with its texture and shape. Warts tend to form a cluster just like the cauliflower. Your fingers and the nails are at a greater risk of forming periungual warts.
- Plantar warts: This lump is also known to have a thick and solid formation. They are also known to be very painful. The pain usually occurs when there is an external pressure of force applied on warts such as walking wearing tight footwear.
We already know that warts occur due to a virus and that it is thick and an unappealing growth. Warts can appear anywhere on the feet, but they are very common on the sole/ under the foot as it is in a more vulnerable position and have a number of cracks and cuts. This kind of wart can occur to any age group, especially to children and the elderly.
How do we identify- Their color is very neutral around the periphery and gets more and more yellow towards the center. They have small black dots at their center which are nothing but red blood cells. One or more can appear in the same area.
The risk factors include using community or public washroom and bathrooms, having had warts previously or even having a weak immune system can make you susceptible to warts.
Signs And Symptoms For Verruca Plantaris:
- The color is very similar to the skin of the sole.
- May result in severe pain while walking, or even having footwear on.
- Have small black dots on them.
- The grooves of our sole go around warts.
- Warts could appear in clusters.
Causes For Verruca Plantaris:
Plantar warts are known to be benign epithelial tumors, caused by the HPV(a type of virus).
There are different types in it and they are as follows:
These types are recognized to be clinically visible symptoms. The warts are only caused due to the direct contact of the virus to the foot. After the infection takes place, it is possible that the viruses stay dormant for a while, and then the wart might appear after several weeks.
If warts on the sole or the toes get pushed inside, it is likely to form an external layer of the skin over warts, by pushing it inwards. A wart can be painful if it is left untreated for a long time.
These warts are also capable of spreading to a nearby area of the skin. They may later fuse with each other to form a cluster.
Preventions Verruca Plantaris:
To prevent plantar warts, maintaining good hygiene is of utmost importance. Secondly keeping your skin moisturized can help to prevent them from cracking and cutting.
Make sure to wear clean socks daily. Also, wash your footwear every weak. This will avoid the virus from attacking you.
So now you know what Verruca Plantaris is and the causes of the disease. Make sure you take necessary measures to prevent your skin from further damage.