Looking For Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Skin Tags?
Skin tags are soft, skin-colored, benign growths that arise from your skin. They are harmless but having a tag on highly visible areas such as the face can be annoying. However, there are many medical treatments and home remedies available that might help you get rid of skin tags. Tea tree oil is also considered as a great alternative in removing a tag. Continue reading the article given below to know more about skin tags and its removal methods.
What Are Skin Tags?
Skin tags are harmless growths that protrude from your skin. Some studies show us that more than half of the adults are infected with skin tags and other such skin growths. However, most of these skin tags cause no medical complications but sometimes it might bother you. Often these small, soft growths look like warts as well.
Skin tags which are formally known as acrochordons can vary from a few millimeters up to 5cm in size. They are usually found in the skin folds. Skin folds include areas such as your neck, armpits, groin area, etc. These small pieces of flesh are attached to a stem or a stalk. There are various factors such as friction, family history, etc which might cause skin tags.
Tea Tree Oil: Overview
Tea tree oil is also known as Melaleuca. This is an essential oil which is extracted from the native plant Melaleuca alternifolia. It is most commonly known for its antiseptic properties which help to treat wounds and many other medical conditions. There are many studies which show us that tea tree oil can be used to kill many strains, bacteria, virus, etc.
Terpene, hydrocarbons, monoterpenes, and sesquiterpenes are some of the primary ingredients used in tea tree oil. The presence of these compounds in tea tree oil makes it antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial. This oil is used in many topic formulations as an ingredient as it helps to treat numerous infections.
According to health care experts, tea tree oil is a powerful disinfectant that helps to fight skin infections and irritations. You can get rid of skin tags and other skin growths just by applying some amount of this oil on the infected area. The volatile hydrocarbons present in this oil are known to travel through pores of the skin and membranes. Thus it helps to fight against skin infections.
Benefits Of Tea Tree Oil
There are various benefits that you can obtain by using tea tree oil. Some of these benefits are listed below.
- Fights acne and other skin conditions: The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil helps to fight against acne and other skin conditions as well.
- Soothe skin irritations: It can also be used to soothe skin irritations and wounds as well. Tea tree oil is also considered an effective agent to soothe sunburns, sores, etc.
- Fights bacterial, fungal and viral infections: The presence of primary ingredients like hydrocarbons, monoterpenes, etc in tea tree oil makes it antibacterial in nature. It also helps to fight fungal and viral infections.
- Prevents antibiotic resistance: Tea tree oil is known to serve as an antibacterial agent. Thus it can be used in replacement of other conventional medications.
Medical Treatment For Skin Tags
Nowadays there are numerous treatments available, that might help you to get rid of skin tags. Some of these removal options are listed below.
- Cauterization: Cauterization is a process where the tag is burnt off the skin. Most of the skin tags generally drop away after one or two treatments.
- Cryotherapy: In this process, a medical professional applies some amount of liquids nitrogen on the infected area. This is done in order to freeze the tag. Even this process requires around one or two treatments to get rid of the tag.
- Ligation: Ligation is a process where the health care expert ties off the tag using surgical thread. This is done in order to reduce blood flow. As a result, the tag falls off.
- Excision: Here a medical professional uses a blade to cut off the tag. Undergoing this treatment might leave a small scar on your face. However, the scar usually fades away with time.
Natural Home Remedies For Skin Tags
- Tea Tree Oil: The antiviral and antifungal properties of tea tree oil might help you to get rid of the tag. All you need to do is apply some amount of tea tree oil on the infected area using a cotton swab. Place a bandage on the tag overnight until the tag falls off. Repeat this treatment until the tag falls off.
- Banana Peel: Banana peel is also considered as a great option to remove skin tags. You just simply need to place the peel of banana over the tag and cover it with a bandage overnight. Continue doing this until the skin tag drys and falls off.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Applying apple cider vinegar on the tag helps to break down the tissue surrounding the tag. As a result, the tag falls off. Simply soak some amount of vinegar in a cotton swab and place it over the tag using a bandage. Wash the infected area after 15-30 minutes. Repeat this treatment for a couple of days and watch the tag fall off.
Health care experts suggest that one should probably not get a tag removed if it is not bothering you. If your skin tags are located in highly visible areas such as your face, eyelids, etc then you can consider getting it removed. Also if a skin tag grows on areas where a lot of friction is caused then you must consider getting it removed. As it might lead to irritation and bleeding as well.
Some of the studies show us that age and body mass index are two of the main determinants that cause skin tags. So make sure that you maintain a healthy weight in order to prevent skin tags. There are various medical treatments and home remedies available that might help you to remove skin tags as mentioned above.