Can Cimetidine Treat Warts?
Warts are caused due to different strains of the Human Papilloma Virus. They can appear anywhere on the skin but the more common spots are the hands and the feet. The virus which infects the skin triggers excessive skin cell growth and makes the surface of the skin unsmooth.
Warts are contagious in nature, unlike skin tags. They can spread from one part of the body to another or to a different person through skin contact. They are fleshy and are raised from the surface of the skin.
Where Can Warts Occur?
- Common Warts: Common warts appear on your fingers and toes, it is possible that you can develop somewhere else. They have a crust on the top and are circular in shape. They have a grain like an appearance and they are gray in color as compared to the surrounding skin.
- Plantar Warts: Plantar warts appear on the bottom of your foot and hence are known as Plantar warts. They are present underneath your skin and not on the surface of the skin. They are painful when you apply pressure on feet and you may experience difficulty while walking. If there is a small hole in the wart, and it has a rough and patchy skin, this wart is a Plantar Wart.
- Flat Warts: They develop on the face, thighs or the arms. They are not visible easily and one cannot notice them at first. The tops of these warts are flat as if they have been scratched. They are in various colors like pink, brownish or faded yellow.
- Filiform Warts: Filiform warts occur on the face. The most prominent spots of these warts are under the chin and near the mouth or the nose. They are in the shape of a tag which has grown out of the skin. They as the same color as of your flesh.
- Periungual Warts: They develop near the toenails and fingernails and they may reduce the growth of your nails. They cause discomfort and are very painful.
- Genital Warts: Genital warts are sexually transmitted, hence to save your partner from getting them. One should notice some uncertain growth of skin near the genitals to stop it from spreading.
When Should You Consult Your Doctor?
- If there is discoloration of the wart
- Warts occur on your face, feet, arms or genitals
- The wart is causing pain and discomfort
- If you are diabetic and you have an occurrence of warts
- Your immunity level is low due to HIV or AIDS and you have any development of warts
Treatment For Warts:
There are both home remedies and clinical intervention for the treatment of warts. Home remedies include using freezing kits which are available in any drugstores. Using salicylic acid and a duct tape soaks the moisture of the wart and leaves the skin of the wart dry. The medical treatments undergoing surgery or using liquid nitrogen. Another such treatment is using Cimetidine For Warts.
What Is Cimetidine?
Cimetidine is the generic name for the drug Tagamet, which is an efficient constituent for relieving heartburns. This medication is used by people who are suffering from Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome. Cimetidine is also used for treating ulcers and itching and it is safe to use on the skin. Tagamet is an H2-blocker which works by reducing the acid in the stomach.
Cimetidine For Warts:
Research has shown that Cimetidine is a very powerful drug to treat skin allergies and skin infections. Cimetidine is effective in treating viral warts. Because of some evidence of its result, it is a potential treatment as it stops the action of Histamine. It helps with the body’s immunity system by providing stimulation to the lymphocytes.
Warnings Of Cimetidine:
- Consult with your local doctor before consuming Cimetidine if you have liver or kidney diseases.
- If you have developed any ulcers, speak to your medical practitioner before taking the medication.
- Are you a person with a low immunity level due to HIV or AIDS then seek medical help before starting the course.
- Do not take Over The Counter medicine(OTC) for more than a period of fourteen days. If your doctor has advised you to take Cimetidine for a longer period, only then continue to take the dosage.
- In case your heart starts burning and you have any discomforting feeling in your chest, stop taking the medicine.
- It is possible that you may experience acidic indigestion and your mouth may turn sour.
- Only take Cimetidine for the time that your doctor has told you to. Do not extend the dosage or miss it either.
- If there is too much medication swallowed, it can lead to many other problems.
- Too little Cimetidine doses will lead to a delay in the healing process.
Pregnant Women And Cimetidine:
Cimetidine would not do any harm to the unborn fetus. But you must take care that you inform your doctor before intaking the medicine. It is not recommended to swallow Cimetidine if you are breastfeeding as the drug may pass in the milk and harm the baby.
Side-effects of Cimetidine:
The common side effects of Cimetidine are :
- Swelling of the breast
- Muscle or joint pain
- Rashes on the skin
The serious side effects of Cimetidine are:
- A decrease in Sexual Ability
- Increased or decreased heartbeat
- Bruising or bleeding
- Extreme stomach pain or ulcers
- Difficulty in breathing
- Allergic reaction on the skin
- Discomfort while urinating
It is important to know that one should not overdose on Cimetidine or miss the dosage. Even if you have missed a dose, do not double it, just follow the usual schedule again. The quantity of medication depends on the type of wart you are trying to treat. If you are using any other medicines, tell your doctor before starting the course of Tagamet. Cimetidine For Warts is a potential treatment and one can save oneself ample of money. Rather than opting for medical procedures like surgeries and laser treatments, use Cimetidine. It is effective and also it treats the wart in a speedy manner.